Criminal Justice Assistance Program

Contacts:Donna Harrington/OST
Phone: 360.902.8961
FAX: 360.704.5159
E-mail: donna.harrington@tre.wa.gov
Diana Tibbetts/DOR
Phone: 360.534.1520
FAX: 360.534.1526
E-mail: dianat@dor.wa.gov
Additional Contact – Crime Statistics Report
Joan Smith, Washington Association of Sheriffs & Police Chiefs
Phone: 360.486.2393
FAX: 360.486.2381
E-mail: JSmith@waspc.orgAuthority: RCW 82.14.310; RCW 82.14.320; RCW 82.14.330Distribution: To cities and counties.

Frequency: Quarterly in January, April, July and October.

Description: A distribution to assist local governments with funding to meet rising criminal justice needs. Funds are appropriated from the general fund.

The county criminal justice assistance distribution is allocated based on population, crime rate, and superior court filings. The municipal criminal justice assistance distribution is divided up into five separate distributions:

    1. High Crime

      High Crime – For cities that have 1) a crime rate in excess of 125 percent of the statewide average; 2) levied an additional sales and use tax at the maximum rate per RCW 82.14.030 and 3) have less than 150 percent of the statewide average per capita yield for all cities from such local sales and use tax. Thirty percent of the money available for this distribution is distributed to cities and towns with crime rates in excess of 175 percent of the statewide average. The monies are allocated based on population with no city receiving more than 50 percent (of the 30 percent). The remaining 70 percent of the money is distributed to cities and towns with crime rates in excess of 125 percent of the statewide average. These monies are also allocated based on population. No city may receive more than 30 percent of the total high crime moneys available. The other 50 percent of the municipal criminal justice assistance money is divided as follows:

    2. Criminal Justice – Special Programs

      Innovative Law Enforcement, At-Risk Children, and Domestic Violence – 54 percent is distributed to cities and towns on a per capita basis.

    3. Criminal Justice – Contracted Services

Contract Services – 10 percent is distributed to cities and towns that qualify under CTED’s criteria for contracting with another governmental agency for a majority of the city’s law enforcement services. These monies are allocated on a per capita basis.

  1. Population

    Population – 16 percent is distributed to cities and towns based on population with no city receiving less than one thousand dollars (per calendar year).

  2. Violent

    Violent Crime – 20 percent is distributed to cities and towns with a three-year average violent rate for each one thousand in population in excess of 150 percent of the statewide three-year violent crime rate. Moneys shall be distributed based on population with no city receiving more than one dollar per capita.

BARS Code: Criminal Justice Assistance Program – 336.06.10
County Criminal Justice – High Crime – 336.06.20
Criminal Justice – Population – 336.06.21
Criminal Justice – Violent Crime Cities – 336.06.21
Criminal Justice – Special Programs – 336.06.26
Criminal Justice – Contracted Services – 336.06.25